Friday, December 16, 2005

EPM with Project Server 03

I would like to share some thoughts on my experience with Microsoft Project Server 2003 as an EPM tool. I am convinced that Enterprise Project Management (EPM) should be adopted by more organisations as a way of adding increased visibility and accountability to their PM processes. What organisations need to appreciate is that any tool, including Project Server, only addresses about 30% of the EPM dilemma. In my experience most companies do not place enough emphasis on the methodologies and processes required to compliment the effectiveness of these tools. Project Server lends itself well to customisation and organisation's can really leverage its power by incorporating their practices and processes into the customisation and configuration of this product.

The biggest feedback I hear from executives is "I need to make my project manager's more accountable so I can achieve a more objective view of my programs and portfolios". In my opinion, PMs have not really had fair levels of accountabilities and spend an inordinate amount of time scrummaging to defend the current state of play. Reporting and resource management continue to plague the life of a PM and EPM goes some way towards adding a manageable structure to this dilemma. Unfortunately there is also the difficulty of having executives taking responsibility for identified risks/issues. Project Server will add traceable history to these problems, which depending on how competent you are, will be considered a good or bad thing.

No comments: